Thursday, September 19, 2013

S is for Spells


        

With this week being about Spells, I thought that I would touch on something that I have noticed as a growing trend for quite some time.  I will limit my focus to Wicca and witchcraft and all the folks who identify with one or both of these terms.  I have heard, not a few times, that there are witches and Wiccans who do not cast spells.  This is absolutely baffling to me!  Why in the world not?  

The answer I often get is, "because it is unethical to cast spells or make magic for personal gain". This is utter horseshit.  Sorry to be so blunt, but I think that in this instance that is the only proper term for such foolishness.  What in the world is unethical about getting what we need and desire?  Is it the assumption that to get what we want we must take from another?  If so, then I challenge you to expand your definitions of the following:  

Magic:  if we accept that magic is creating change in accordance with Will, we should be able to accept that this change can be a manifestation of something which previously did not exist - that it was willed into being.  If this is so, our abundance received through magic is created by us, for us.  With this in mind, it is not necessary to take from others to have what we want.  There are, of course, types of magic which rely on domination and manipulation, but the choice to utilize such tactics is exactly that - a choice.

Fertility Religion - the very term suggests abundance. As deities of fertility, and by extension abundance, our gods wish us well and want us to be happy and prosperous.  They do, however, expect that we will work for what we want as well.  Magic will make the job available, but you, my dearest, will have to go out and get it yourself.  

Witch or Priest/Priestess - this is not the same as lackey of the goddess, slave or pitiful wretch.  We work with our gods in a symbiotic relationship.  We need Them, and They need us.  Magic is one way in which they give to us, and through worship and reverence we empower them in return.  Witches are makers of magic, and to suggest otherwise smacks of Christian guilt and an attitude of unworthiness.  Our gods are realists.  Without enough to eat and a roof over our heads, how will we be able to spare any energy for Them?  This isn't Jehovah or Yahweh we are talking about here, who demands the first of all flocks, who asks people to kill their kids as signs of devotion and sets plagues on people to test loyalty.  No, our gods are not THAT god, however They are as responsible for the dispensation of justice and hard lessons as they are for the lavish gifts of magic.  Do not truffle with them, but remember that Willing and Daring are as much at home in Wicca as in Ceremonial Magic.  Use your head, and accept responsibility for your actions and you will do fine 

They witchcraft ethics of Charmed might be fine for the teenie bopper witches, or the "white light" enthusiasts, but I will stick with the old school attitudes of my elders, thank you.


1 comment:

  1. I've been peeking at your blog for a few weeks now, sfter seeing it listed on Pagan Blog Project. I'm a 2* Gard, though my Coven has shifted our focus onto another sort of 'Craft (which I've been writing about for PBP), rather than that Trad. We can't rightly call what we do "Wicca" anymore, but we grew from that, and so I share a lot of your opinions and views. I just wanted to say thank you for putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete